View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #9
`_o

Nice post Sintax. Definitely a good starting point for people who are actually interested in this (+1 for mentioning ida - its an amazing tool). I would add that you hardly have to write assembly code. You usually just have to read it (often its enough if you are able to follow the logic - there is also really good tools to help you with that). Assembly code is probably a bit exotic even for the average programmer but if you have at least some kind of a c background (understanding pointers will really help) you will find that (at least unoptimized) c code pretty neatly maps to machine code thus keeping its structure and being easy to analyze. Just analyze a couple of your own programs. I bet you will recognize and somewhat understand at least a couple small parts (you could also play with optimization settings here or strip the binaries to see if you can spot the differences). Some kind of assembler crash course would probably be best to help with really understanding what happens in the code but sadly i do not know any good one that just explains the interesting bits (basic operations, stack, calling conventions, ...) without actually trying to teach you to build programs but once you have a grasp of how programs work on the inside it will become way more easy to see the logic in different injection/hooking/patching techniques. Of course there is a "steep learning curve" but if you are interested in how things work under the hood and have a good bit of patience i think this can be a pretty rewarding research topic.
`_o is offline   Reply With Quote