Go Back   Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum > Help and Technical Support

Notices

Help and Technical Support Get answers to your account and technical questions here

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
littleblue

Default Fatal Error: D3DERR_DRIVER INTERNAL ERROR

Hi,

My Savage 2 keeps crashing every 10-20 mins or so with the same error - does anybody know the fix? This has been happening the last few weeks for several software versions now (and pretty much immediately after I paid for an account - go figure).

Windows XP, latest patches
1 Gig RAM
Geforce 7600 GT - latest nvidia drivers
Reinstalled DirectX from Savage 2 folder.

Many thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Donut

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblue View Post
Hi,

My Savage 2 keeps crashing every 10-20 mins or so with the same error - does anybody know the fix? This has been happening the last few weeks for several software versions now (and pretty much immediately after I paid for an account - go figure).

1 Gig RAM

Many thanks!
The first thing you should try is uninstalling Savage 2, deleting ALL of your Savage 2 directories after you have done so, and installing the game again.

(Directories C:\My Documents\Savage 2 - A Tortured Soul\ and C:\Program Files\Savage 2 - A Tortured Soul)

Sometimes with internal errors reinstalling your C++ runtime can help. You can find them at Microsoft's website.

Last edited by Donut; 04-04-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
littleblue

As advised, I uninstalled the game, deleted the folders and reinstalled everything from scratch. The first game I tried to join afterwards led to a crash 5 mins later. Same error.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
Talfurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblue View Post
Hi,

1 Gig RAM

Many thanks!
I am having the same problem as you. The same system specs also...
Anyone have an idea to fix it or is it just that our video cards suck too much?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
oriul

hey guys just saying your not alone ive got the same problem and ive got all the specs so if anyone does have any ideas that would be great thx :-)
Old 04-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Donut

Card+Driver issue.. i don't think this is something the User can fix.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
Uninvited

I haven't checked the latest Savage 2 installer, v 1.4.1. But, from prior experience with the 1.0.0 installer, S2 did not provide the latests directx drivers.

Uninstall everything to do with Savage 2. Delete your folders in my documents, then go here to get the latest directx

Install Savage 2. Once installed, go to your Add/Remove program and remove the Visual C++ redist 2005 package (Once again, this was installed with the 1.00 installer, and I assume it hasn't changed.) Then go here to get the latest Visual C++ Redist.

If this doesn't work, try your texture settings on medium, and everything else maxed (AA and ASF on x2 or somesuch, world draw distance does not need to be maxed, find your sweet spot). Then begin loweriing your other settings one by one.

-- Scottish tombstone epitaph

Last edited by Uninvited; 04-08-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
XE0N

Default Same

I have exactly the same problem with the same pc's caracteristics .
Old 05-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Darkr

Sigh, Just bought on steam, had no problem with the tutorial or practice, soon as I play online 5-10 mins I get the error.

I have: 3200+ AMD, 1 gig ram, 6600GT, XP, and the direct X drivers provided.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
Uninvited

It’s important to mention that these steps are not only required to play Savage 2, it’s also good to always keep your computer up to date.

The first thing you'll need to do is look at the system requirements, and see if your computer meets them. It is always helpful to post all of your system specs with your specific problem, so we know what you're working with. CPU, GPU, RAM, and OS are the important ones.

Minimum:
Processor - 2.2Ghz P4 or faster
AMD 2000+ or faster
RAM - 1 Gb of ram
Video Card - 128Mb fully DirectX 9.0 compliant Geforce or Radeon
Windows XP, Win2k, Windows Vista
Network Connection Required

Recommended:
Processor - 2.0ghz Core 2 duo / AMD 3500+ or faster
RAM - 1.5 Gb or higher
Video Card - 256Mb Geforce 7800+ or Radeon x1900+
Windows XP, Win2k, Windows Vista
Network Connection Required (Broadband)

Regardless of which Windows you're running:

The Savage 2 v1.0.0 installer comes bundled with DirectX redistributables and C++ redistributables that are both out of date. The v1.4.1 installer comes with the 2008 C++ Runtimes, but still has the old DirectX runtimes. After installing Savage 2, take the following steps:

1. Uninstall the 2005 C++ Redistributable package. Install the 2008 C++ Redistributable package available on Microsoft update. Make sure to select the one that goes with your version of Windows. I'm not sure if the Savage 2 v1.4.1 installer automatically installs the 64 bit version if you have 64 bit Windows. ( 32-Bit Windows / 64-Bit Windows)

2. Make sure you've installed the latest DirectX redistributables. The web installer can be found here. As of right now, the latest release is the March 2008 Redistributable.

3. Make certain that you have installed the latest .net framework. The current version is .Net Framework 3.5 which contains previous updates.

4. Make sure you have the most up to date drivers for your video card. You can find NVidia drivers here, and ATI drivers here. You can also use Omega drivers. They are tweaked versions of the base drivers released by each company.

If you're running Windows Vista, in addition to the above you also need to:

Install SP1. It includes a very important hot fix that affects your video card's ability to perform. This hot fix is crucial in the stability of Savage 2, and has helped many others with their crashes. The hot fix had originally slipped through windows update, but with its inclusion in SP1, NVidia has taken their hosting of the file down. That means if you have an Nvidia card you have to install SP1. If you have an ATI card, you can find the ATI hot fixes on this web page here.

If all of the above fails to work:

Try lowering your graphics settings in game. Keep everything maxed (world draw distance doesn't need to be any higher than 6500, ASF and AA doesn't need to be any higher than x4), and then lower your texture detail to medium. If this alone does not work, start lowering your other settings one by one. There is such a huge difference between medium and high texture settings in terms of performance, but very little in terms of visuals.

If Savage 2 ever crashes and asks you if you would like to save a crash log, click yes! It will save the log to "Documents\Savage 2 - A Tortured Soul\Game" with a file name that looks similar to "crash_1.4.4.0_00.dmp". Compress this file with either ZIP or RAR, and email it to kyle@s2games.com. If a crash does not produce a crash report, it is still possible to send information to S2 to try and help them out. Again, in "Documents\Savage 2 - A Tortured Soul\Game" there is a file called "console.log". You can also send this file to the above email address, HOWEVER you must do so immediately after a crash. If you start the game back up again, it writes over the contents of the file, and any record of the crash is lost.

-- Scottish tombstone epitaph
Closed Thread