Go Back   Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum > General Savage 2 Discussion

Notices

General Savage 2 Discussion Talk about all things Savage 2: A Tortured Soul.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
S2stony
S2 Junior Staff Member

Default Let's do this. DISCUSS HERE !

Yes - I know these revivals of the "dead" horse may get old.

I write to you because you were at one point fairly active in the forums of Savage2 and you didn't decline to receive admin emails. Well I am an admin of Savage2 - so I write to you.

One year ago I needed a break - I was worn out by fighting for Savage 2 - and this break wasn't really healthy for Savage2.

But it was sadly necessary.

When you have a team taking care of things (hello S2games) it is fairly easy to distribute jobs to differnt people but trying to do things alone is never a good idea.

However - due to the fact that I am stubborn when it comes to things I love there was no way I would stay away from Savage2 forever - neither Counter-Strike Source nor my new hobby (velomobiles) could prevent that I finally returned to the one game I cant get enough from.

I write to you because I need your help. (suprise surprise ;-) )

Currently the EU-Playerbase is low, but alive. Games in the evening happen regularly and there are new players coming and staying (some leave but you cant avoid that)

The american playerbase however is non-existant. This region can only be revived with a group effort - and this is where you come into play.

I really, really need your time to help me revive the US playerbase. If you need you can leave when we succeeded - but first

- I need you to play Savage2.
- Join Playsavage2.com
- Communicate with me over the Savage2 Facebook-page.

Help me to bring Savage2 to the masses again.

I will clean up the dust from the forums in the next days and it would be an honour to spend time with you over there as well again (yes - i mean you as well Karmashock )

You might guess - I miss you all, I miss fighing alongside you and I miss the endless discussions and arguments on the forums.

When you feel the same I would be really pleased if you would return from time to time.

Maybe you wanna invite your friends to join you in this group effort (joining an US-Server alone is a lonely thing) - when there is no-one on the servers no new players will join.

I hope to hear from you soon, here, on the forums, on playsavage2.com or to see you ingame soon.

Sincerly,

S2Stony (aka Stefan Silberstein)

Donations are still welcome - please go to www.PlaySavage2.com and click on the "Donate" button. TY

S2stony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S2stony For This Useful Post:
KillerKitten (04-18-2014), S1lv3r4s (09-29-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 02:31 AM   #2
bitsnpieces

I'd love to help any way I can, but I'm in Australia, so it'll provide some challenges - but I'll do what I can nonetheless.
bitsnpieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
wolyeon265

So I just got your email, at first I thought I was special, but of course I wouldn't be. I'd love to come back and play on a moments notice if there are other players, don't even have to be a lot, just enough so we can start a game with 10ish people total would be fine. Unfortunately playing on EU gives me horrible lag and is just plain exhausting. I know that it's a catch 22, but that's just how it is. You ask me to help bring it back, but I don't have the extra time to spare here just so that other people could have fun.

This was probably the best and most addicting game I ever played (and best at), but it's been over a half decade since it's release, the people who are interested in this kind of game probably already saw it and for one reason or another decided not to play it. The people who didn't see this game probably still wouldn't be able to see it, and even less reason to now that there is almost no support.

I don't mean to sound cruel, because I remember the days I have where I would play as a single Malphas for over 15 minutes, but those days are gone and it's time to move on. I read somewhere that you're paying for the savage 2 servers out of your own pocket, and I think it's great that you have so much passion for this game. I did too, I probably still do. But this game is already on life support, maybe you should pull the plug.

Best of luck to you Stony.

P.S. I appreciate the email. It was a good blast from the past.

^wish i could do that, I'd be the SHIZ^
also lol i found one that's avatar sized yay.
sig/banner231468.jpg

Last edited by wolyeon265; 04-18-2014 at 07:09 AM.
wolyeon265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Elmy

Yeah, a blast from the past indeed. The reason I stopped playing was no player base and only games available EU-side which were not enjoyable because of the high ping. Your e-mail said you took a break last year. The game, to me, was dead... at least 5 years ago. I find it hard to believe that it changed much in between, especially when S2 put their heads together and re-directed most of their resources for HoN.

You're kind of lucky that there's a game called Chivalry that was released some time ago that's somewhat similar to this game and has a decent player base. If only because it indicates interest in this type of game. I will say that I really, really enjoyed playing this game back then. And chances are I would have kept playing it, but playing against the same 10-20 people every day a only a specific time of the day got old very fast.

Unfortunately, as much as it'd be awesome if it did, I doubt you'll be able to get enough Americas players back to get that going again. If only because anyone logs in and can't find a game within the first 5 minutes, they'll log off and forget about it again forever.

The game needs to be put on Steam or something to give it that initial boost, or a huge coordinated advertising drive that reaches across the entire interwebs. Anything short of that is likely to be a huge waste of your time. It saddens me to say it because it really was a very fun game.

Also it would be nice to know what the plans are for this game beyond 'let's get everyone playing again' - will there be more supports / updates if the playerbase is decent again? Is there anything in the works?
I do not?
Elmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
S2stony
S2 Junior Staff Member

I have all the tools to roll out patches - the team however that took care of new additions (e.g. new maps, corrected spells etc) disbanded because in the end it came to a point where ẃe needed the sourcecode to avoid having to code workarounds for ages which could be corrected with one line of source-code change.

However - I personally think that it should be still possible to add things and to get something new out of savage2. Yes it is rusty - yes it is old - but other games are old too and they are still around. I can't understand why a game THAT awesome doesnt have 100 players playing at any given time... (maybe I am lacking the brainz - who knows)

I came to the conclusion, that even though we cannot change the sourcecode, there is still room to improve and add to Savage2. E.G. New UI and finally adding ProjectX to the game.

New maps can still bring a new fresh wind to the gameplay (removing the nextmapvote would help as well )

So - I will do my part to help - what you can and will do - its up to you

BTW Savage2 has been on steam for a long time and sadly it didnt have the impact it should have. Finally it was kicked from Steam because there is no money to be earned for valve.

Maybe if the F2P option would be removed again and ppl could buy it over steam they will reassess ....

Thanks for all you insight so far - keep'em coming

Donations are still welcome - please go to www.PlaySavage2.com and click on the "Donate" button. TY

S2stony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Xbye

It didn't go far while on Steam because it wasn't advertised.

With how small the US playerbase is here, I'm not sure an e-mail is going to bring people back. Especially considering the possibility of those e-mails no longer being active, or people have moved on and busy with life. I can livestream and try and advertise but since I moved to a new streaming website I don't get many viewers anymore.

I've since moved on to a very similar game but different atmosphere called Natural Selection 2.
Xbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
KillerKitten

I play natural selection 2 from time to time, I know the guys from epic warriors play it, too.
KillerKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #8
DaBladeRoden

Woah an S2 guy that didn't drop Savage like it's hot when the MOBA scene came around. Does anybody still have the source code or is it lost forever?
DaBladeRoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #9
Xbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBladeRoden View Post
Woah an S2 guy that didn't drop Savage like it's hot when the MOBA scene came around.
What...?
Xbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #10
BenArthur

Sitting in the aussie server.

Waiting.

Click To Show/Hide Hidden Content

BenArthur is offline   Reply With Quote