Go Back   Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum > Savage 2 Modding > Documentation

Notices

Documentation Post useful tutorials and other informative material.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #21
KillerDynamo

man, one day after I download it you put up a new version.

anyway, is there a way to use this to edit entity scripts (onDeath, proximity triggers, etc), or do you still have to do those through the editor?

Savage Council
---Where things get done

Both at pug.gamebend.com
KillerDynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #22
Stanz

No. I was working on a complete redesign of this program that would have this functionality and a whole lot more; but I haven't had time to work on it lately.

That's mostly what this update was for, to copy over a couple of simple improvements from the redesign, since it's going to take longer than I expected; if I even bother to finish it.

Here's a very beta-ish screenshot of what I was working on:

Stanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #23
Stanz

Version 1.23 Changelog:

Quote:
* Added a highlighter attribute for goto label's (currently highlighted in purple).
* Added a new button to launch the editor and load the current map.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #24
sakuramboo

since it doesnt look like you will make a linux version, why not release the source code and let someone else port it?
sakuramboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #25
Stanz

If someone actually expressed interest in making the build first and had enough knowledge with delphi on linux to do it, then I may consider it. But right now I see no reason to make anything open source.

There are a few reasons why I haven't made a linux version myself:

1. I don't understand enough about compiling in linux, nor linux itself.
2. People have not expressed much interest in a linux native build.
3. I see no reason why it shouldn't work through wine.
4. With all of the above considered, the effort for me to make a linubx build just wouldn't be worth it.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #26
sakuramboo

and its that kind of attitude that holds linux adoption back. let me flip it around, what harm will it do if you were to release the source code? just slap a GPL or BSD license on it and make it community property. if its recognition you worry about (since its free (as in beer) software anyway, you arent making any money off it in the first place), you still hold ownership of it, you are just allowing others to port it, add to it, etc.

if i was able to see how you set everything up, i could create a GTK+ interface for it and depending on how the actual code is, i might be able to port it to a cross-platform language/library. if no, i know enough people that could.
sakuramboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #27
Stanz

Yes, ignore the numerous reasons out there for Linux not becoming mainstream, mostly due to it competing with itself and just blame it all on me. Very credible.

I'm not at liberty to do anything with my software that I don't feel like doing, especially when it involves adopting a licence I don't feel comfortable with, among other things. Trying to put blame on me for not doing things your way is not going to change things.

I've said, if there is enough interest in a linux build, I will consider doing it myself. Right now I don't believe even if I was to make my code open-source that people would do it anyway.

Also, If you perhaps have an issue using wine due to some arrogant pro-linux anti-windows attitude, that's not my problem either.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #28
DarkBeing

Ok, I'm interested in a linux build too. I don't a Linux OS but a decent amount of players use linux and you seem to be telling them they can't use this program for selfish reasons. I thought you were into the whole open source and helping the modding COMMUNITY grow. I bet there's a few good modders out there with linux but are being brickwalled because you won't port it to linux. If it's about that you can't port it to linux or you find it too difficulty just open source for someone else. As previously stated it's not like you're selling this, we already know you made it, I don't see where it could go wrong. I only see it helping the modding community thrive.
DarkBeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 AM   #29
Dustin

Develop your own code if you're gonna fucking bitch. It's his program He'll do what he want's with it, be glad he let you use it in the first place. I support open source and multi-platform code, but he did this on his own time for free, so stop bitching/demanding **** from him and learn to code tbh.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:30 AM   #30
JumJum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBeing View Post
Ok, I'm interested in a linux build too. I don't a Linux OS but a decent amount of players use linux and you seem to be telling them they can't use this program for selfish reasons. I thought you were into the whole open source and helping the modding COMMUNITY grow. I bet there's a few good modders out there with linux but are being brickwalled because you won't port it to linux. If it's about that you can't port it to linux or you find it too difficulty just open source for someone else. As previously stated it's not like you're selling this, we already know you made it, I don't see where it could go wrong. I only see it helping the modding community thrive.
You could copy it and call it DarkBeing Legacy K2 Script Editor, thats what could go wrong.