Go Back   Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum > Savage 2 Servers

Notices

Savage 2 Servers Announcements, discussion, and information regarding the Savage 2 servers.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
S2stony
S2 Junior Staff Member

Default Want to set up an official server for Savage2? Ask Stony

Hello fellas,

i told S2mercenary that I wanted to take more responsibility and take some work from him so that he can take care of the patch and other important things that have to be done.

So I took the position to be the first contact when you want to setup an official server for Savage2. All the steps, from getting the login-data from S2mercenary and auditing the config files is now done by me instead of him.

So if you are able to host a server on a fast hoster, get in touch with me and we will add even more variety to the Savage2-Server-Farm

I am willing to help you setting the server up together with you (if you want) because it can be a littel bit tricky (*wavestomorpheius* )

And now to some details copied from another thread so you get am impression what is needed to host a server:

--------------------

Server location:

There are no restrictions for where you can server is located, so long as you can provide a smooth and stable game experience to players who are local to your server. However, we would very much like to get new servers up that are local (aka good ping – physical location isn't so important) to the following areas:
  • West US
  • Central US
  • East US
  • South America
  • Russia
  • Asia
While those areas are preferred, I'm sure that there are plenty of players and potential players in other regions who would appreciate a local Savage 2 server.

--------------------

Regarding virtual servers:

Currently, we would prefer to have Savage 2 servers in non-virtual environments. This is solely because we have not yet had a stable and well-performing Savage 2 server hosted on a virtual server. If you feel that you can provide a smooth and stable Savage 2 experience on a virtual server, we're open to considering your server on a trial basis until we can determine that there are no issues present.

--------------------

Server size/Multiple servers on one machine:

It is possible to set up multiple Savage 2 servers on a single box, and we have seen situations where it's possible to do so without any performance issues, but this will require a higher-end server than what is normally required for a Savage 2 server (it should at least scale roughly linearly, as far as I understand). Generally, until we have a significant amount of servers with normal player counts (22-26 or so), I would prefer that server operators host more Savage 2 servers rather than host larger servers. Also, keep in mind that the Savage 2 interface currently only supports roughly 40 players or so (I can get an exact count if necessary).

--------------------

Server hardware/software requirements

This is a rough estimation of what is required for about a 22 player server:

CPU: 2ghz
Memory: 512mb
Hard Drive space: 10gb+ (most of this will go toward storing replay data, and generally the space is only needed if you have any trouble with the stats uploader – it gives space for a small backlog of stats and replays).

Operating System: Generally anything that you can get a Savage 2 server to run on and easily maintain, but S2 staff will need to have access to audit the game installation and configuration as necessary (you'll be running an unmodified copy of Savage 2 and only official maps), and also to correct other issues if they arise. For Windows, RDP access is fine so long as we can access the My Documents Savage 2 directory as well as the Program Files Savage 2 directory (will need full read/write access). For Linux, SSH access is fine as long as we can access everything associated with the Savage 2 install and configuration directories (read/write).

As for Mac servers, we'll probably have to get that figured out if/when anyone offers Mac servers. Generally we'd like to have Windows or Linux servers though (preferably Linux if you can easily maintain it and provide us with the required access rights).

--------------------

Server connection requirements

These are roughly the connection requirements for hosting a Savage 2 server:

20 slot server

Upload per user: ~8KB/sec or ~0.065MBit/sec (0.065Mbit x 20 = 1,3Mbit Upload)
Download per user: about 50% of upload

----

40 slot server

Upload per user: ~12KB/sec or ~0.100Mbit/sec (0.1Mbit x 40 = 4Mbit Upload)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferratilis
Now these values are standard maximums that are used, in theory some times 20slots can go a bit over 8KB/sec for some users but not on all and even that is rare, usually it will keep well below these values but if you notice that your server is getting freezes and unplayable ping jumps you might want to lower the max amount of clients. Now the amount of players you server takes should be 12+ and an even number but even for a 12slot server you should count on the 20slot numbers to avoid any problems.

You may want to check with the owners of existing community-provided official Savage 2 servers for more specific information and recommendations.

The addition of VOIP will likely increase the requirements by a small amount.

Uploading stats:

There is a stats uploader program (or shellscript for Linux) that we provide which will reside in your replays directory which will automatically grab and upload replays and stats information.

The Linux version of the stats uploader has a configurable upload rate, so you can set it up to avoid consuming too much bandwidth.

--------------------

Server maintenance

Generally, we expect the owner of the server to do whatever maintenance that they can (OS/service updates, keeping the game up to date, keeping the game and stats uploader running, etc.) that doesn't require our intervention. Basically, the server should be relatively hands-free minus any potential issues that we have to potentially verify/correct. We can help with at least some of this, however you should keep in mind that we have active and helpful community members (such as those participating in the S2SCIP) who will be able to answer a lot of questions you may have.

With best regards,

Stony

Donations are still welcome - please go to www.PlaySavage2.com and click on the "Donate" button. TY

Last edited by stony; 01-06-2010 at 10:58 AM.
S2stony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S2stony For This Useful Post:
kakashi7 (04-03-2012)
Old 02-16-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
VladTImpaler

I planned on buying myself a new pc soon with at least a triple core 3x 2.9 gigHz processor and 6 gigs of ram lol. Is that powerfull enough to be a server?
VladTImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
S2stony
S2 Junior Staff Member

The problem will the bandwith be - so you can host temporary servers from home if you have a kick-ass connection. But a permanent server can only be hosted on a dedicated server at a hosting company.

Donations are still welcome - please go to www.PlaySavage2.com and click on the "Donate" button. TY

Old 02-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
blackcat

My friend is CEO of a sever hosting company maybe I should ask him.
blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
S2stony
S2 Junior Staff Member

That would be awesome - the best would be a restricted seperate user because i have to get access to monitor the configuration files when the server is ment to be official. For an unofficial this does not have to happen.

If this would be possible - that would be so awesome!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
VigilOmerta

so how do u actualy make map and that lol i realy dont know anything?
VigilOmerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
S2stony
S2 Junior Staff Member

Please post into the right forum - this is about hosting servers for savage2.

BTW @Blackcat: Did you contact your CEO?

Old 04-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #8
Mercfh

What kind of bandwidth are we talking about here?
I get about 20 mb/s download
and 1 mb/s upload (altho I think they cap it, my friend called them and got it uncapped and he gets better)

is this enough to host a "decent" temp server if I were interested?
or is what you listed just "per user"?
Mercfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #9
S2stony
S2 Junior Staff Member

Quote:
Upload per user: ~8KB/sec or ~0.065MBit/sec (0.065Mbit x 20 = 1,3Mbit Upload)
So with 1MBit upload you should be able to run a 16-18 slot server just fine.

Worth a try

Old 04-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #10
Mercfh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stony View Post
So with 1MBit upload you should be able to run a 16-18 slot server just fine.

Worth a try
Ya thats Capped as well. Im nearly positive they cap them (according to multiple people i've talked to)
Mercfh is offline   Reply With Quote