Go Back   Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum > Savage 2 Servers

Notices

Savage 2 Servers Announcements, discussion, and information regarding the Savage 2 servers.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #21
S2stony
S2 Junior Staff Member

Sure it is - an official server in Russia would be very nice. Official servers are sadly only working under linux right now. So if the machine is a windows server i would be more than glad to help you setting it up and making it official when i got the login and password from s2games.

Sincerely Stony
Server-administrator for S2games

Donations are still welcome - please go to www.PlaySavage2.com and click on the "Donate" button. TY

S2stony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 AM   #22
CypherZ

Posting for update on the US West server

p.s. new title? orly?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #23
S2stony
S2 Junior Staff Member

Just so that he knows that i am responsible - there for i said "Serveradministrator *for* s2games"

Donations are still welcome - please go to www.PlaySavage2.com and click on the "Donate" button. TY

Old 12-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #24
elkimo

Stony, is it true that an official server has to be hosted at a dedicated hosting service?

I recently got my hands on an old pc, that I've started to use as a home server. I just installed Savage 2 on it, basically just for educational purposes, to see if it would work and if I could do it. I went rather well, and I think I'm going to keep it online (if it's not too heavy for it).

It's not exactly a state of the art server (I doubt it has a 1ghz processor, let alone 2ghz), but I do have a reasonable internet connection (we are about to get a glassfiber connection soon), and the ping is around 24 - 30. I'm located in Europe, the Netherlands, so my location isn't exactly a priority location.

I was wondering what your reasons might be to want (or not want) a server to become an official server. I'd say, the more official servers the better. The only reason I can think of why you wouldn't want all servers to be official is the responsibility you would hand over to the servers maintainer. But the worst thing that can happen (that I can think of) is that the server goes offline, and there are still enough other servers left if that happens.

Just for clarity, I'm not pushing for my server to become official, I was just wondering about the reasons to want to be, or not want to be hosting an official server (from both S2's and the servers maintainer point of view), and to get a little more clarity on the requirements for both the server and the server maintainer.
elkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:14 AM   #25
TimiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkimo View Post
Stony, is it true that an official server has to be hosted at a dedicated hosting service?

I recently got my hands on an old pc, that I've started to use as a home server. I just installed Savage 2 on it, basically just for educational purposes, to see if it would work and if I could do it. I went rather well, and I think I'm going to keep it online (if it's not too heavy for it).

It's not exactly a state of the art server (I doubt it has a 1ghz processor, let alone 2ghz), but I do have a reasonable internet connection (we are about to get a glassfiber connection soon), and the ping is around 24 - 30. I'm located in Europe, the Netherlands, so my location isn't exactly a priority location.

I was wondering what your reasons might be to want (or not want) a server to become an official server. I'd say, the more official servers the better. The only reason I can think of why you wouldn't want all servers to be official is the responsibility you would hand over to the servers maintainer. But the worst thing that can happen (that I can think of) is that the server goes offline, and there are still enough other servers left if that happens.

Just for clarity, I'm not pushing for my server to become official, I was just wondering about the reasons to want to be, or not want to be hosting an official server (from both S2's and the servers maintainer point of view), and to get a little more clarity on the requirements for both the server and the server maintainer.
I just want to comment on a few things you've said.

1. Have you attempted to run a savage 2 server from this computer yet?

2. Ping has nothing to do with your internet bandwidth, you can have a low ping (response time from you to the host) and have really garbage internet. You can find approximate speeds from www.speedtest.net or www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

3. Official servers are typically servers that will be up for a very long time, aka a dedicated server.

TimiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
elkimo

Yes, I have kept it running for a couple of days, Savage seemed to run quite smooth when I was in a game, though I was the only person in it, so that may not be the same if more people are online.

I just wanted to point out the ping because I was a little surprised it was that low, I had assumed ping would only be low from my own computer to the server directly (using a local IP address), since that would be within the same network, but in the in-game server list and on the website with the list of online servers ping was also low. I don't know how ping is measured in the in-game list, but I assumed on the website, it has to be measured from the server from which the website is hosted, which is why I was surprised ping was still that low outside the local network.

While my server was online there weren't that many player that connected to it (that I saw), so I decided its not really necessary to keep it running, there are enough European servers as it is, so I shut it down. I can always get it back online for LAN-party purposes or if I'm playing and see no servers where I can join. As I said, it was fun to see I could set it up anyhow, that's the main reason I did it anyway.

My question was more like, what makes an official server special? Why aren't all servers official? What does an unofficial server do that an unofficial server doesn't do? There's a lot of information in the first post in this thread about requirements, but nothing on what the advantages (by lack of a better word) are for both players and the maintainer. When I'm playing myself I notice the servers with people in them are usually the official servers, and I thought that was because of the speed of the servers, but since my own server seemed to be able to run the game rather smooth, I'm not sure about that anymore.
elkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #27
eaxs

Quote:
My question was more like, what makes an official server special? Why aren't all servers official? What does an unofficial server do that an unofficial server doesn't do? There's a lot of information in the first post in this thread about requirements, but nothing on what the advantages (by lack of a better word) are for both players and the maintainer.
Official servers will get their replays and player stats uploaded to the savage 2 website. This leads to more people willing to play on official servers than unofficial ones. Unofficial servers are great for hosting mods and unofficial maps.
eaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #28
nox99

hello i can provide an EU server for free, The server can be 40 slot if that can help. the machine is dedicated it has 2.5 gig ram on ubuntu (not so much but should be enough) ,connectivity 100mbit up/down (not ftth network), proffesional corporate network with over 16 backbone connected (gblx, level3, sprint, tinet, nttc, telefonica, retn, indatel, hurrican, telianet, swisscom, kpn1, kddi, globeinternet, mfnx, adtn) <10ms on any pop in switzerland dedicated ip/hostname+reverse

Last edited by nox99; 07-15-2012 at 10:07 PM.
nox99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nox99 For This Useful Post:
Lorbriyanar (07-17-2012), meankitty2 (07-17-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #29
S2stony
S2 Junior Staff Member

Sent you a PM - lets get this going

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S2stony For This Useful Post:
meankitty2 (07-17-2012), SonOfAthena (07-16-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #30
Lorbriyanar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox99 View Post
<10ms on any pop in switzerland dedicated ip/hostname+reverse
Ohey! I'm Swiss! Get that server running NOW
Lorbriyanar is offline   Reply With Quote