Go Back   Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum > Tips & Strategies

Notices

Tips & Strategies A place to share tips and strategies with other players.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
Leyleth
Community Moderator

Default Group Fighting

And I mean 1v2+. You vs. the world.

Honestly, I have really been wanting to make a thread about this for quite some time, however I am strangely enough not able to really articulate what exactly I do.
I'm widely recognized as one of if not the best group fighter on US servers, but I can't really describe what I do =/.

Can anyone help?

Tips of course include never EVER getting close to the group of foes, and to never EVER stop moving. Run in nothing but circles, ovals and zigzags. Only weave in between enemies when you (or another variable) have parted them enough for you to fit through without taking many, if any hits.

Learn to control the crowd, learn to use your enemies as allies. Blocking and 1-2 swinging is extremely effective, and when your enemies are grouped together each hit that you land will harm multiple people, thus pumping up your block meter. If you're able to do it properly, you can have 'infinite' block, so long as you attack more than block.

Some people may call you out for "farming noobs", but you should ALWAYS take down your enemies that are at low health, or have no idea how to play the game. These players are essentially batteries for your lungs, heart, and morale.
For the most part, charge is to be used only to escape enemies in unexpected situations; if you are fighting 4 people and have them controlled and following your circle and 1 or more enemies rush into the battle, use charge to distance yourself from the group (now 4 or enemies) and re-establish your circle pattern. By doing this, you have accepted and FORCED your new opponents into bunching together and chasing you; you control the crowd, even while continually adding 3 swinging enemies.

While I personally have difficulty keeping track of the swing rotation of more than 6-7 enemies, I believe that almost everyone should have no trouble counting, avoiding, and adapting to at least 3 enemies swing rotation.
By "swing rotation" I of course mean their normal attacks and their special attacks. When enemies are forced to literally bunch together and chase one person in a circle, they almost all tend to 3/4 swing, trying to hit you as much as possible.

This is extremely detrimental to your enemies for a number of reasons.

1) it wastes the stamina that they aren't ALREADY wasting on chasing you
2) it leaves them completely wide open for you to get in 1-2 quick hits, especially if you purposely block 1-2 of their attacks (or 1 "block" of 1-3 enemies), which will give your attack speed a boost.
3) Keeping track of your enemies swing rotation allows you to have even MORE control over the situation; you are simply moving in tight circles/ovals around your enemies, blocking when required. During this time, if done properly you can regain health, stamina and charge. Of course this allows for the use of items such as pots or whatever else you'd like.

While most applicable for 2-3 enemies, you can easily destroy your foes by allowing them to hit your block 1-2 times, then hitting them 1-2 times quickly (make sure to hit AT LEAST 2 of your enemies) thus putting your block bar back to or near full, and then allowing you to block their third swing, again leaving them wide open for you to get in another 1-2 hits.
By doing this, you can easily and quickly wear your enemies down.

Hmm... What else?

Ah- when you are forced to fight multiple enemies by yourself and you have low health, you can quickly strafe left and right using your keyboard, while alternately moving your mouse (and thus character/block/swing arc) left and right. Doing this allows you to (due to the angles of your enemies attacks against your counter-angles) easily avoid 90% of your enemies swings, and (when desired) move in/adjust your movement to land a hit or two.

Use all of these tips in conjunction and you will find yourself killing or at least wasting the time of large groups of enemies, all by yourself.

I will try to add more to this when I come up with ways to explain what I and others do. Please leave your comments, suggestions, tips, questions... Anything!

Last edited by Leyleth; 03-19-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Leyleth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leyleth For This Useful Post:
Angel_YQ (05-03-2012), GANJAPLANTA (05-01-2012), Xigbar (03-15-2012)
Old 03-19-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
MBomber
Community Moderator

Yeah, I got something to add. If you see an ally controlling crowds like this, don't rush in. Look for your opportunity to enter the fight. The trick is he's controlling the crowds by causing them all to bump into each other, mainly by strafing and backpeddling. If you get beside or behind your buddy, you'll hurt him by restricting his movement.

Instead, you wanna slip around all those enemies he's kiting and start picking them apart one-by-one.

If you are a healer and you witness this, congratulations: you just found the perfect d00d to spam heals on. You will begin to accumulate assist gold/exp on the enemies he kills. As well as his respect and gratitude. And the attention of the enemies, so be light on your toes, too.

On the other side of the equation, if you're fighting someone with a buddy and he's clearly trying to use kiting techniques on you and your buddy, you need to re-evaluate your positioning. Try and get beside or behind that enemy to rob him of places to run.

Does smoke in this game lag out your computer? Then STOP SMOKING!

MBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
Xholllow

hmm seems like a good guide, ill read it tonight when i get the time, its to long xD
Xholllow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
Leyleth
Community Moderator

Excellent post MBomber! Thanks for your input
Old 03-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
Leyleth
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xholllow View Post
hmm seems like a good guide, ill read it tonight when i get the time, its to long xD
If you have any questions or would like me to clarify anything, let me know. Hope it helps you though!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
choppy

Agree with MBomber, I feel like a fool when I rush in and think I'm helping then notice I just cut off their movement.

I spent a half hour watching Leyleth in a match last night, just to see what he does differently. I think I use most of the same tactics, just not very well or consistently. Definitely requires some hand eye coordination and some muscle memory, and some reflexes, and some skill. I'd recommend downloading a match with Leyleth in it and watching it just to see what he is describing in action.
choppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
weasel92

:O wow!!! now i wnt be a noob!!!!
thx!!
weasel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
Seraphin
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyleth View Post
I'm widely recognized as one of if not the best group fighter on US servers, but I can't really describe what I do =/.

It is hard to describe. Now that i frequently kill 3-6 enemies at a time, i feel like group fighting is a big part of my game. But it is hard to describe. I think i know when i stumble into a situation where i can kill multiple enemies but it's not always the perfect situation. A lot of it has to do with being creative and adjusting to what the enemy is doing in the heat of the moment. It's a damn good feeling when you've killed one enemy, then two, three and so on and you find yourself facing off against the last living enemy

Like i said, a lot of it is improvisational. I don't know that I think about it the way you do, but i definitely have certain things i do every time i fight groups, especially with the Hunter.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:42 AM   #9
gasmaster01

do you watch them as you circle them? or just run straight circles with them on the peripherals?
gasmaster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
Leyleth
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasmaster01 View Post
do you watch them as you circle them? or just run straight circles with them on the peripherals?
I watch them and keep track of them. A lot of my deaths in group fighting are due to other enemies coming behind me or something unexpected like that, haha.