Go Back   Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum > Tips & Strategies

Notices

Tips & Strategies A place to share tips and strategies with other players.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Drcaonic

Grenade The Art of War on Savage 2 - Part 3

I’ve returned once again with the next rule of war: “If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them.”

Just as a footnote before you read this, I’d just like to say that this is preschool stuff. I’m an idiot for even expecting you not to know this. Fortunately I already expect that you will berate me mercilessly for the strategies coming up starting in the following paragraphs.

Last time we covered sticking together. This time we’re going to cover how to do the opposite: Pushing the enemy apart.
No, this doesn’t mean shoving them away from one another. It’s fairly easy to separate a player from a group he’s in. There are actually a lot of different ways of doing this.

The first is to appear unthreatening. If a guy who’s sticking with his squad sees you and you then run away, he’ll definitely start chasing you. For extra effectiveness, let your prey see you at half health and then use a potion the moment your out of his sight. However this strategy only works if the other squadmates are focused on doing the job that their commander assigned them. There’s another more effective and more consistent way to separate enemy players, and you don’t actually have to do anything specific to carry it out. All you need are more than two or more other players doing whatever you’re doing alongside you.

We all tend to go off to do our own thing at various points in the game. Instead, go with another player, or better yet, have him tail you at a distance and then look for lone enemy players. Lure him in by appearing alone, then your temp partner joins you and you can reduce that fool down to a pile of slag. You get experience, possibly a soul, you'll have damaged an enemy squad, and if you’re lucky, you might even have enough health to do it again right away, although I’d recommend hightailing out of the immediate area before the guys who saw your victim’s circle of sight blink out come and investigate and you suddenly find an unreasonably large raiding party chasing after you and your partner hoping to eat your soul.

Like I said in the last paragraph, we all tend to go off to do our own thing at various points in the game, which means that your opponents will be doing the same. You can take advantage of that. Instead of hunting NPCs at the beginning of the game, hunt for stray dogs from the other team with one or two other players on your team. For this, you don't even need a strategy. You outnumber the guy and he dies. As the saying goes, the lone wolf dies alone.

That's all for today, so until next time, this is Draconic, signing off!
Drcaonic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drcaonic For This Useful Post:
Rellikan (11-19-2012), Xintar (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Drcaonic

Grenade The Art of War on Savage 2 - Part 4

I didn’t really have a plan at the end of the last post, so I guess it makes sense that I've gotten nearly no responses since then. However, I’m back with my next edition of this thread. Wow, that was lame. Anyway, here is the next rule of waging war:
“When your weapons are dulled, your ardor damped, your strength exhausted and your treasure spent, other chieftains will spring up to take advantage of your extremity. Then no man, however wise, will be able to avert the consequences that must ensue.”

This is less about winning the game than it is about losing with your dignity intact. There are often times in which a match will have an obvious ending, and your team is not on the winning side. I’ve been in a game in which the enemy had destroyed all of my team’s structures, all the gold mines were taken and the one in our base was depleted.

Even if we could take down one of the opponents’ outposts, we wouldn’t have had the gold to build there ourselves.

If we did, we wouldn’t have been able to construct defenses, and even if that were the case, the enemy had more than enough money for siege. No matter what, we would have lost our temporary victory.

In a typical game, there is a clear beginning, middle, and end, with the middle being the longest part.

B. The beginning of the game is when the game starts until both your team and the opponents' team have taken half the gold mines on the map.

M. The middle of the game is from that point onward during the really fun part while both teams struggle for supremacy, and goes on until you or the enemy loses two tech-buildings and has captured one or both of your naturals.

E. At that point the game is over. You or the enemy just has to push into the opposite team’s base from the captured natural and the game will end eventually. However, there are often situations where the players on your team are really good, and believe they can turn the game around.

That is virtually impossible. At that point in the game, gold will have gotten scarce, and you won’t have the resources or even the power to take down a nearby outpost because it’ll be protected by both a strata spire/arrow tower and a static spire/cannon tower. Between one and the other, there won't be an inch around that outpost that you'll be able to stand without geting a projectile to the face. Furthermore, you’ll have inferior units and won’t be able to recapture outpost without improbable organization. The thing to do here is to concede, and not torture the people who just want to get on with the next game.

The ultimate point here is that once your resources are exhausted, you cannot win. It doesn’t matter if you’re in the freaking top fifty players on the leaderboards. You can’t win without supplies and income. Concede, and instead of a long, drawn out and torturous death, concede, and live to fight another day, or in this case, one minute later in the next game. In the words of Sun Tzu, “there is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare…In war…let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns.”

I hope you found this latest piece informative, even if it was kind of annoying. I’m not preaching the value of defeat, just the virtue of obtaining victory sooner, even if it has to be in the next game.

Anyway I have a plan once again, so I’ll see you when I post the next rule. Without a doubt, it’ll be the most important of all of the pieces that I've written so far:
“Thus it may be known that the leader of armies is the arbiter of the people’s fate, the man on whom it depends whether the nation shall be in peace or in peril.”

Until next time, this is Draconic, signing off.
Drcaonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
Pidgeoni

Interesting read.

Since the last one was about resigning, and I usually am totally against it, I thought I should comment.

Giving up the war when hope is dim can have good results in a real war, like avoiding extra casualties in people lives. It may be honourable and graceful to accept defeat and move on. But the most important of those don't matter in Savage2.

In the game, resigning only affects the quality of our fun. It could also be a means of saving time, but since you are already playing a video game, this is no serious point.

Now I would like to point out why I think resigning is actually a loss of fun.

a) The enemy team doesn't get to finish you. This takes away a huge satisfaction of half the people playing this match.

b) Playing on the last defence requires a different play-style that the rest of the game. It is a time when trying to stay alive is actually benefiting you. As such, it adds to your experience.

c) It is a challenge to stand up against all odds. It feels like playing on extra-hard-mode; you know you are going to loose a lot, but you don't care, because of the thrill and the adrenaline and the test of your skills.

d) Fighting to the very end and never giving up; that is an amazing quality, that can boost the morale of the loosing team and hype them up to chase down victory in the next game.

e) When times are difficult, people get near. You can chat with your team-mates, or even with the enemy, about the game and what is happening, and maybe get to know some people (or their nicknames). Of course, some people will just flame and rage, but there is fun in that as well!

f) There are extremely rare cases when the game can actually turn around, even when Malphai are casually walking around your main. Those comebacks can feel disappointing and unfair, as they are usually the result of good players changing teams. But it is an experience, reminding to the enemy that delaying can actually cost them the victory.

In any case, this is just a game, and each player gets to choose how to play it (even with the known disadvantages of voting systems). But I think the title of the game kind of hints against resigning.

Last edited by Pidgeoni; 10-18-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Pidgeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pidgeoni For This Useful Post:
iflow (10-28-2012), meankitty2 (11-28-2012), NEPS1992 (11-15-2012), SonOfAthena (10-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
Rellikan

I had tried the first "rule" many times on top of the middle height towers (weird how you don't get hurt from falling). I spawn a bat while I'm at the top of the tower and wait for noobs or the unawares to try and kill the bat. This is really good for when you're trying to defend which no one does. But
This doesn't really help the team most of the time in most maps cuz, everyone goes offense. Especially not when I do it, I usually end up luring a good fighter and dying cause of my lag. LOL
Got like 5 kills out of around 10 tries, might be a waste of time, but still fun when you have a Hunter and just see your target spazz when you do that zoom flight thingy at them, haha hilarious. Usually instant kills.

Very good read, this forum is usually empty.

Resigning, hmm. I believe that one shouldn't resign unless everyone is the team get incinerated in 10 seconds after they spawn. I've been in many games where the good players transfer to the loosing team and just win the game. Sucks how most players don't even communicate. Doesn't matter how shit you are at fighting or strategy, if you can communicate well (able to type reasonably quick, like me or have good quality non-static spamming mic) then you will be 10x better chance of winning a match.
Rellikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
w1ze0ne

My second post is about the following rule: “If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him.”

Evade ? for what, if you are still evading enemies that means you are not very confident and the only way to be a good fighter is to be confident in youre skill and obviously be skilled yet at the same time you cannot and will not get to that level by "evading" better players infact you should take notice of better players and fight them AS often as possible and notice how they exploit your weakpoints and work on those weak points watch when they become aggressive and when they play defensively, dont run the fuck away like a spastic inbred man the fuck up and be a try hard cuz thats what this games about 1 manning an entire team
w1ze0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to w1ze0ne For This Useful Post:
meankitty2 (07-12-2013)