Go Back   Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum > Savage 2 Modding > Released Projects

Notices

Released Projects Share your finished/beta modifications with the community!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
Boofed

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 39
Thanks: 14
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Axiom Eternal

Axiom Eternal
Beta v0.3

Description
Axiom Eternal is a mod that is well... Difficult to explain. I'll list the features of the mod and add some screenshots to give you a good idea of what this mod is. It's nothing fancy, but I think it will be a lot of fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Download
Quote:
Note: You do not need to download the mod unless you want to test it locally. When you connect to the server you will download the most recent version of the mod before entering the server.
Beta v0.2 https://dl.dropbox.com/s/7yv6qe14zjj...bv0-2.s2z?dl=1
Beta v0.3 https://dl.dropbox.com/s/euiotrnfu0h...ernal.s2z?dl=1
Change Log:
http://axiometernal.blog.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Play Testing

Official play testing will occur every Saturday from 8:00 PM to 12:00 AM (EST) unless otherwise noted. Check what time this will happen in YOUR timezone: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AxE+Testing&iso=20121103T20&p1= 179&ah=4


Quote:
10/13 - First play test:
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god! A popular server crashed and everyone came to try out the mod! GREAT SUCCESS! Unfortunately, the server admin had forgot to set the teams to human vs human. We still got to play a whole match, though! I took tons of notes on what needs to be evaluated and fixed so this next update is gonna be a biggy. Big thanks to all those who attended tonight and I hope to see lots of people this coming Saturday!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Units
The Trickster of Algardia uses underhanded and sneaky techniques to destroy his enemies. His life as a thief in the streets of Algardia has ruined his reputation. He has no other choice than to fight for money.
  • Trickster
    • Short Blades - "The twin blades the Trickster wields are honed sharper than a razor's edge and make for deadly work at close range."
    • Stealth - "The trickster slips into stealth for 3 seconds. Any attacks will remove the trickster from stealth. Any damage received will remove the trickster from stealth."
    • Duplicate - "The Trickster creates a dummy clone of himself with 100 health to fool enemies. The dummy can be controlled by pressing "G" and then a corresponding number key. DO NOT REMAP THESE KEYS. The dummy will not disappear until it is killed."
    • Spawn Point - "The Trickster places a spawn point where allied players can spawn. The Spawn Point lasts for 5 minutes and restores 15 health per second in an area."
The Blades Master is a powerful blacksmith who wields two massive broadswords. The Blades Master beats his opponents down into submission with his relentless attacks.
  • Blades Master
    • Broadswords - "In each hand, the battle-hardened Blades Master wields deadly longswords, each heavier than any normal man could bear to lift and each sharpened for lethal effect."
    • Double Swing - A melee attack that uses both of the Blade Master's blades. Deals 90-115 damage and stuns all enemies hit for 0.75 seconds.
    • Pounce - "The Blades Master leaps ahead towards his enemies dealing 50 damage to anyone unlucky enough to be in his way."
    • Rage - "Sends the Blades Master into a reckless rage for 6 seconds, increasing attack speed by 50%."
Born and raised in the Church of Omniwi, the Healer uses divine powers to restore the health of allies. He wishes he had gone to med school.
  • Healer
    • Staff - "Although the Healer's magical stave is made for better work than mere melee attacks, when the situation demands it they can be used to drive off weaker foes."
    • Heal - "Heals a target ally for 138 health over 2 seconds."
    • Group Heal - "Allies within the radius of the group heal spell are healed for 100 health over 1 second."
    • Resurrect - "Resurrects a target ally who recently died with half health and half mana. If target has returned to the loadout screen you will not be able to revive him."
In the name of honor and courage, the Tank charges head-first into the battle. He is skilled with a large battle axe and is tough to take down. He will gladly give his life for his comrades.
  • Tank
    • Battle Axe - "The slow, steady reaping of a Tank's massive battle axe is a fearsome sight to behold."
    • Whirling Blade - "The Tank does a sweeping circular attack dealing 105-120 damage to nearby enemies and interrupts any action they are currently performing."
    • Centurion Armor - "Gives the Tank and allied units near the Tank 6 bonus armor for 20 seconds."
    • Reconstitute - "The Tank reconstitutes his body for 20 seconds. While in this state, the Tank's health regeneration rate is increased by 150%."
The Sorcerer is a monkey-like creature from the depths of the Merlin forest. His real origins are unknown. All we know is he likes bananas and big explosions.
  • Sorcerer
    • Spirit Hammer - "The Sorcerer's legendary banana masher is the most revered presence in all the universe. While the Sorcerer doesn't like to risk damaging his precious hammer, he will use it in self defense to bash an enemy to a lumpy yellow pulp. Just add cream!"
    • Meteor Strike - "The Sorcerer summons a meteor down from the skies that deals 200 base damage to enemies."
    • Eruption - "The Sorcerer summons an eruption in the target area that deals 75 damage and stuns enemies for 1.8 seconds."
    • Defile - "The Sorcerer channels his ever flowing chi'nana to instantly deal 180 damage to a target enemy."



Last edited by Boofed; 11-15-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Boofed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
S2stony
S2 Junior Staff Member

S2stony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Newerth Valley
Posts: 6,940
Thanks: 61
Thanked 298 Times in 142 Posts
Default

Advertised on Facebook a little - lets stresstest your mod
__________________

Donations are still welcome - please go to www.PlaySavage2.com and click on the "Donate" button. TY

S2stony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Pidgeoni

Pidgeoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,734
Thanks: 185
Thanked 317 Times in 190 Posts
Default

A download link wouldnt hurt tbh
Pidgeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Boofed

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 39
Thanks: 14
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeoni View Post
A download link wouldnt hurt tbh
Sorry about that. The original post has been edited with the link to the download. Thanks for pointing that out!
Boofed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
PetzI

PetzI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,815
Thanks: 18
Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Shit, bro, how did you manage to make take 908 MB? I'm a bit curious as to what's in here taking so much space, but I bet you included the whole soundtrack of the Elder Scrolls series or something.
PetzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Boofed

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 39
Thanks: 14
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetzI View Post
Shit, bro, how did you manage to make take 908 MB? I'm a bit curious as to what's in here taking so much space, but I bet you included the whole soundtrack of the Elder Scrolls series or something.
o.e I just noticed that too... Not sure what's going on there. I'll download it to see what's in it. I thought I had only included the game resources, UI xmls, and the map...

Edit: I figured out the problem. I added the game resources that were modded, the UI xmls, and the map. I also added my entire game folder. Herpie derps. I'll work on getting a new download up soon! Sorry!

Edit #2: The download is now much smaller.

Last edited by Boofed; 10-08-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Boofed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Pidgeoni

Pidgeoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,734
Thanks: 185
Thanked 317 Times in 190 Posts
Default

That's more like it :P

I took the liberty of deleting a music file that's included in the game anyway, then packed all your customisations inside the map resources; you may want to have a look at how that was done, then go clean up your game folder

http://www.mediafire.com/?t2f91p3ky4h8ksg


About the mod... I dunno what to say. Lack of ranged weapons should be interesting. Legionnaire with 150 base speed and no charge in such a large map is pretty annoying to play. No idea about balance, that would have to be seen online. Also no idea about how fun this would be. Perhaps a smaller map would be a better choice?

I could try admin-pushing the map on the coil server for testing if you give me a time and date.
Pidgeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pidgeoni For This Useful Post:
Boofed (10-08-2012), SonOfAthena (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Boofed

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 39
Thanks: 14
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeoni View Post
That's more like it :P

I took the liberty of deleting a music file that's included in the game anyway, then packed all your customisations inside the map resources; you may want to have a look at how that was done, then go clean up your game folder

http://www.mediafire.com/?t2f91p3ky4h8ksg


About the mod... I dunno what to say. Lack of ranged weapons should be interesting. Legionnaire with 150 base speed and no charge in such a large map is pretty annoying to play. No idea about balance, that would have to be seen online. Also no idea about how fun this would be. Perhaps a smaller map would be a better choice?

I could try admin-pushing the map on the coil server for testing if you give me a time and date.
Yeah I have no clue how it's going to play at the moment. What I've got now is a really rough version of what I really want so it needs a lot of play testing. Cooldowns, run speeds, cast times, and everything else are subject to change since there's literally no way I can tell how they will play out.

As for the COIL server, how about next Saturday from 9:00 ~ Whenever PM EST sound?

I would have liked a smaller map but I do like the "3 lanes" concept. I couldn't really find another map that was smaller than autumn that has "3 lanes."
Boofed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
PetzI

PetzI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,815
Thanks: 18
Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Alright, so I've taken a peek at the mod and here's my criticism:

I recommend that you keep skills that were already in the game in their respective slots, even if that means leaving empty slots in between. The thing is that people will automatically reach for skill 4 to activate Double Swing and end up using Enrage, which in the middle of a fight will be a serious problem. It seems bothersome to have skills arranged that way, but it will be much more annoying to have to relearn the skill positions just for your mod.

You might want to use an icon for the Duplicate skill that doesn't have that block border around it: /human/units/scouts/icons/icon.dds

This can only be known through testing, but I'm kind of afraid that the Tank will be completely useless. Because he's so slow and there are no ranged weapons, other units will be able to simply run past him.

You forgot to turn the fog back on in Autumn!

You need to actually disable units and items you don't want people to use, not just eliminate them from the UI. I can still type "unit engineer" or "purchase consumable_ammosatchel" in the console to use them. Set their prerequisites to something like "UNAVAILABLE".

I understand that the idea is to simplify, but gold is pretty unbalanced. You have to remember that people earn several thousands of gold in Savage 2, which they spend on siege units, buildings and more expensive items. Because these don't exist in your mod, people are going to have thousands of gold to buy potions that cost at most 150. This means gold is useless. If I were you, I'd re-enable most of the items and/ or set g_taxrate to a higher number. The default value for it is 0.25, and it's the ratio of gold earned by the player that goes to the team, so if you turn it higher up players will get less gold.

By the way, hellpeak is 3-laned.

Last edited by PetzI; 10-09-2012 at 10:52 AM.
PetzI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PetzI For This Useful Post:
Boofed (10-09-2012), SonOfAthena (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
Boofed

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 39
Thanks: 14
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetzI View Post
Alright, so I've taken a peek at the mod and here's my criticism:

I recommend that you keep skills that were already in the game in their respective slots, even if that means leaving empty slots in between. The thing is that people will automatically reach for skill 4 to activate Double Swing and end up using Enrage, which in the middle of a fight will be a serious problem. It seems bothersome to have skills arranged that way, but it will be much more annoying to have to relearn the skill positions just for your mod.

You might want to use an icon for the Duplicate skill that doesn't have that block border around it: /human/units/scouts/icons/icon.dds

This can only be known through testing, but I'm kind of afraid that the Tank will be completely useless. Because he's so slow and there are no ranged weapons, other units will be able to simply run past him.

You forgot to turn the fog back on in Autumn!

You need to actually disable units and items you don't want people to use, not just eliminate them from the UI. I can still type "unit engineer" or "purchase consumable_ammosatchel" in the console to use them. Set their prerequisites to something like "UNAVAILABLE".

I understand that the idea is to simplify, but gold is pretty unbalanced. You have to remember that people earn several thousands of gold in Savage 2, which they spend on siege units, buildings and more expensive items. Because these don't exist in your mod, people are going to have thousands of gold to buy potions that cost at most 150. This means gold is useless. If I were you, I'd re-enable most of the items and/ or set g_taxrate to a higher number. The default value for it is 0.25, and it's the ratio of gold earned by the player that goes to the team, so if you turn it higher up players will get less gold.

By the way, hellpeak is 3-laned.
Thank you very much for your in-depth analysis of the mod. You raise a lot of good points and when I have the time, I'll look into most of them. I don't have much time to post at the moment, I have a paper due tomorrow, so I'll just make a real brief reply here...

I understand that people have muscle-memory when it comes to the original skill layout but I feel that my mod is so simple (you only have to worry about 4 skills) that it won't really become a problem.

I'll fix the availability of units when I can.

I'll evaluate whether the gold rate needs to be changed after the first couple plays of the mod. I have no way of knowing how much gold is too much at this point.

I did consider leaving the current items in, but I also didn't want to have to worry about them at the moment. Keeping them out will make it much easier to balance the mod early-on.

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the icon for Duplicate. I'll swap the icon back (I originally had it set to the loadout icon) when I get a chance.

Finally, thank you for telling me about hellpeak. I'll take a look at that map and see how it is. Perhaps there will be multiple maps for the mod!

You can expect a lot of these changes in Beta v0.2
Boofed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boofed For This Useful Post:
SonOfAthena (10-10-2012)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:42 PM.