Go Back   Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum > Savage 2 Modding > Released Projects

Notices

Released Projects Share your finished/beta modifications with the community!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:43 AM   #21
t1ck

boubbin,
that happans when 2 "placeable items" overlay.
like when there is already a portal and you try to place another one in/next to it.

i dont think its particle related
t1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:22 AM   #22
MBomber
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubbin View Post
i have pretty decent computer, and i play with all the settings almost high with great performance.
Sometimes i get very high FPS drop when im trying to place spawn portal as officer.
This happens when the transparent shape of portal is displayed ans you are finding the place to put the portal. This doesnt happen all of the times tho...
Anyone experiencing the same ?
I think everyone is. It's the nature of the beast, if you'll pardon the pun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noian View Post
By heal MBomber, I meant the healer units, not buildings (the glow), although buildings do lag (but the shield lags less)...myabe just make it a static ring around the buildings instead of glowy movements? (and the sky ray lags considerably, isn't just heal, it lags when I try to build a building due to the sky ray effect). Otherwise, as I said before, on my XP computer, the main/noticable lag was due to siege and buildings, so the current version (minus siege) is fine for me. Everything else is negligible (its just that as I noted on the Vista computer I tested, lots of effects lag the rig down)
Awright, thanks for clearing that up. I think I can disable the sparklies from heals (though I would have to find the file first. I'll look for it another time). By a static ring, do you mean like one on the ground? I might be able to do that, but without a texture, it would probably either just be a copy of another effect or a checkerboard (and that's only with a little bit of research). As for the sky ray effect when a beast building is under construction, I hadn't considered that before and had completely forgotten about it. I'm not sure where I would find that file, though I would guess that it would be in a shared folder. If I can find it, there's no doubt in my mind I can make it shut the hell up.

Siege particles are slightly more complicated than I at first suspected; I will probably in the very near future just release what I have and fine-tune it later. (Have disabled all particles on behemoth. Disabled all particles on Tempest except for Meteor which seems pretty fickle, and Ethereal Form remains untested. Disabled all particles on Ram except for Protective Flames, which I turned down by over 90% to still provide visual feedback. Disabled just about all particles for Steambuchets, but the actual explosions from the artillery fire somehow slipped under my radar. Still, if the above help people out, it's better than nothing, right?)

Does smoke in this game lag out your computer? Then STOP SMOKING!

MBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:27 AM   #23
Homisho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBomber View Post
As promised, here's the particle-disabling mod for buildings. Future versions will disable particles on other effects.

What's affected by this mod:
  • Smoke, fire, and dust from human buildings.
  • Dust, glowing, and near-death dust/smoke from beast buildings.
  • Purple dust from Conjurers when they build.
What's not affected:
  • Shielding effects of shield towers.
  • Sky ray effects of chloro spires.
  • Near-death glowing from beast buildings (it's not a particle effect).
  • Anything not mentioned above.
Instructions to use this mod:
  • Move the desired file into your Program Files\Savage 2\game folder
  • Change its name to resources1.s2z
    • If you already have a file called resources1.s2z, use the name resources2.s2z instead
    • If you already have a file called resources2.s2z, then you probably already know what you're doing anyway.
Once the file is in place and correctly named, the game will automatically load it every time you play.

Incidentally, Wiwi, thanks for the advice. You saved me a considerable amount of time!

Could you actually disable that effect, thanks
Homisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #24
neno

When can we expect that next temporary fix will be out?
why you old game can made my computer so lag?
neno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #25
t1ck

if you want to find a effect (e.g. heal) just open the character file (its xml)
savage2/game/resources0.s2z/human/units/chaplain/character.mdf

it contains

<anim name="heal" clip="clips/heal.clip" fps="20">>
<frameevent frame="1" cmd="PlaySound /human/units/chaplain/sounds/heal.mp3 100"/>
<frameevent frame="1" cmd="StartEffect /human/units/chaplain/effects/heal_cast.effect"/>
</anim>

which means /human/units/chaplain/effects/heal_cast.effect would be the file you want to edit

you could also remove the StartEffect line from the character file, but keeping all modifications in the effect file would make it easier to understand

about the temptest Ethereal Form. its just paticles, so if you disable them its completely invisible.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #26
gahd

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1ck View Post
about the temptest Ethereal Form. its just paticles, so if you disable them its completely invisible.
Could we change the effect to have it re-skin with a 50% alpha skin?

Someday 500|\|, this will be me.

Note: If i don't reply to anything Karmashock says to me, don't take my abstention for agreement. I simply ignore the mentally ill.
gahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #27
t1ck

what do you mean by reskin?

what i know that you can either lower the amout of particles which would make the effect less "dense" so its more grey than black.

or turn off the transparency of the particles. that doesnt look so good. but the transparency is as far as i know the actual cause for the fps drop
Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 PM   #28
MBomber
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahd View Post
Could we change the effect to have it re-skin with a 50% alpha skin?
I'm not sure, but I bet I could make it similar to (or a complete copy of) the Shapeshifter's sacrifice skin.

Quote:
what i know that you can either lower the amout of particles which would make the effect less "dense" so its more grey than black.

or turn off the transparency of the particles. that doesnt look so good. but the transparency is as far as i know the actual cause for the fps drop
I'll probably figure something out, but if push comes to shove, I might release a version with no change to the Ethereal Form and come back to it later.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:05 AM   #29
MBomber
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neno View Post
When can we expect that next temporary fix will be out?
Right now.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:57 AM   #30
Wiwiweb

Quote:
if you want to find a effect (e.g. heal) just open the character file (its xml)
savage2/game/resources0.s2z/human/units/chaplain/character.mdf

it contains

<anim name="heal" clip="clips/heal.clip" fps="20">>
<frameevent frame="1" cmd="PlaySound /human/units/chaplain/sounds/heal.mp3 100"/>
<frameevent frame="1" cmd="StartEffect /human/units/chaplain/effects/heal_cast.effect"/>
</anim>

which means /human/units/chaplain/effects/heal_cast.effect would be the file you want to edit
Oh, I didn't try to open these mdf files, but now that I see it, maybe it would be easier for you, MBomber, to just comment those "StartEffect" lines ?

Last edited by Wiwiweb; 10-14-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Wiwiweb is offline   Reply With Quote