Go Back   Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum > Savage 2 Modding > Documentation

Notices

Documentation Post useful tutorials and other informative material.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:38 AM   #31
Stanz

DarkBeing, you came in here just to start up YET ANOTHER pathetic argument and throw about insults, or perhaps you just want to steal my code again? Either way, your opinion is not valid to me. Stop harrasing me.

Once again, I'm NOT going to make this current project open-source, that is a decision I have decided upon. I am not at liberty to make my code open-source nor to give you reasons why. I am fully in favour of open-source code in general, but it remains a privilidge, not a requirement.

If you really want to stand by this argument that everything deserves to be open-source, go bitch at S2games to make their game open-source like they are at liberty to do so instead of picking on the little guy.

Having said that: I've looked into the difficulty in porting this myself and weighed the difficulty against the need. Also bearing in mind this is made in a language that is designed for Win32 only. There simply IS NOT enough people to warrant me porting the code and effectively saying "You should do it, but I'm not going to give you a reason why" is not going to change that. I have started learning a bit more about linux as there are other projects I am working on that I do intend on being cross-platform (and am not so against being open-source, either), so there may be a chance of it down the line; but that will likely be a complete side-effect of another project and I am in no hurry.
Stanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:35 AM   #32
brokengame

By the way, thanks for the script editor Stanz, it really comes in handy (not having to open the map editor,etc)
brokengame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:24 AM   #33
DarkBeing

I never stole any of your code, we already had this discussion. If you cared enough and was convinced that it was actually true you would PM me about it like the devs suggested rather than bring it up in this topic. Back to the point, for someone who wants to "help" the modding community you're purposefully cockblocking anyone with a Linux from easily participating from scripting and mapping by refusing to port it. I don't care if YOU don't know how to port this to Linux or if it's within your abilities, that was the point of putting up open source. Even better, why don't you talk to the guy who previously OFFERED to give a shot and porting it over to Linux?
DarkBeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 AM   #34
Chief

Its his code so he can do what he likes with it whether you think thats the right decision or not.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 AM   #35
DarkBeing

You're right, he doesn't have to but he should. I'm calling him out for all the praise he gets for helping the modding community except when all I've seen him do is bully others with his slave-boy JumJum. Maybe if he did port this to Linux or asked someone like the guy who offered to do it for him I'd say "Ok, I don't care for him but he genuinely cares about the modding community as a whole and not just windows based users". But whatever it seems like I'm the only Linux advocate here so I'm just going to drop it and keep remembering how much of a joke modding on this game is while great programs like this are only available to some.
DarkBeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:39 AM   #36
S2Fielding
S2 Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBeing View Post
Ok, I'm interested in a linux build too. I don't a Linux OS but a decent amount of players use linux and you seem to be telling them they can't use this program for selfish reasons. I thought you were into the whole open source and helping the modding COMMUNITY grow. I bet there's a few good modders out there with linux but are being brickwalled because you won't port it to linux. If it's about that you can't port it to linux or you find it too difficulty just open source for someone else. As previously stated it's not like you're selling this, we already know you made it, I don't see where it could go wrong. I only see it helping the modding community thrive.
This was completley uncalled for. What Stanz volunteers or doesn't volunteer is up to him, he's not obligated to do anything.

I've stayed out of this "fued" of yours, Stanz and DarkBeing, for a while but this is going a bit too far.

Whatever the issue between you two, bury the hatchet or put each other on your ignore lists, because this forum is not benefiting from your personal arguments. Consider this a friendly request than more of a warning - please don't provoke each other anymore. Regardless of who has made the last post on this subject, just stop. No one here is interested in seeing one of you defeat the other in a battle of internet wits - take it to PM's or drop it entirely.
S2Fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:42 AM   #37
JumJum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBeing View Post
You're right, he doesn't have to but he should. I'm calling him out for all the praise he gets for helping the modding community except when all I've seen him do is bully others with his slave-boy JumJum. Maybe if he did port this to Linux or asked someone like the guy who offered to do it for him I'd say "Ok, I don't care for him but he genuinely cares about the modding community as a whole and not just windows based users"
I'm not anybodys slave-boy, Stanz can defend himself way better than me stepping in. But you are pretty dumb if we are going to buy the 'I didn't rip your code, I just coded exacly like yours.'. Just because you would fall for something that dumb doesn't mean we will. It's SO obvious you ripped it. You wrote in his thread to update it, and just a few hours you release an _exact_ copy of it with what.. some minor modifications. And you are telling us you did that so easily compared to Stanz did to it in a few days. (just guessing how long it took I don't know how many minutes hours days he spent on it).

You either think we are as dumb as you or you are just doing this to provoke Stanz, maybe both. Either way, you did rip it. End of story. And theres nothing you can say that can disproove that.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:56 AM   #38
exezic

stop whining, start wine'ing
[02:56:52] <Damnit|ButtDeveloper> xninixbot is like optimusprime, exezicbot is like bender

Old: Turbohealer|SexDove
Older: Farming|Tomatoes|Stompin'|Gray|Summoner|Savage|MalikenLULZ|5thElement|Lee|3Trunk
exezic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #39
Expired58860

How would you port a Delphi application to UNIX? Give me a break, the entire thing would have to be rewritten in Wx, GTK or Qt. I love open source software also but even if he did release the source it would be barely helpful to you. As for him porting it, he would have to learn another language and/or toolkit for this tiny app. Give the guy a break, he did this for free.

/me starts working on .NET script editor that I will release as open source so it can be ported, lol
Expired58860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:00 AM   #40
Stanz

Small update to fix a couple of things.

Quote:
* Fixed a bug where the name kept disappearing in the title.
* Improved handling of the syntax highlighter.
Stanz is offline   Reply With Quote