Go Back   Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum > General Savage 2 Discussion

Notices

General Savage 2 Discussion Talk about all things Savage 2: A Tortured Soul.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
KillerKitten

Default What now?

So
we got old players back to playing the game
Emails has been spamming phones has been called
But now, after everyone are back what are we going to do?

Sadly if we will have no update whatsoever on the game (not talking about a patch, but anything) players will leave.
Both new players and old players, the only thing I think can hold players on a dead game is a good clanscene and we all know the playerbase can't produce more than 4-5 clans.
and not many decent clans, sadly.

So what now? Is there any direction we are going towards?
KillerKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
Sartassa

an update has nothing to do with the point that players stay or leave.
i dont even get why you see a connection in between this. the players are back despite there was no update since ages! i dont get why they should leave just because theres no update..doesnt make sense to me.

i think the cool events will help out. but not too often maybe once a month when there will be a funny, interesting event..like zombie mod, pug, football, helms deep, etc.
Sartassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
KillerKitten

I'm not talking about an update I'm talking about what direction stony is steering this game.
We pass over the source code, so what's left, bringing back old faces to make the community happier for 1 or 2 days wouldn't change the fact we're dying.

Basically what's going to happen is that old players will come back, see a 40 slots server, play a couple of games and leave to never return
we speak of new trailers, and new videos, and we re assmble mods, but what for?
if we won't have anything to make this game fresh no one will stay.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Annonith

I suggest we take it slow for now. Ophelia (and some other servers AFAIK) is constantly crashing, maybe we should try fixing that first before inviting new players? Also let's wait and see how much of salvage2 team Stony will manage to salvage (hohihohiho). It's kinda rude to invite guests to cluttered backyard don't you think?

Annonith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Annonith For This Useful Post:
KillerKitten (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
KillerKitten

It is, but its not what I mean, I ask for a general direction, obviously fixing these server crashes comes first, or we'll lose our entire playerbase LOL.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
S2stony
S2 Junior Staff Member

I am working behind the scenes at the following goals:

I have some goals that I want to achive:

- overhaul the website (or at least create a polished coverup-page like savagexr.com did for Savage1)
- add pending and unfinised stuff like ProjectX - some maps that showed incredible potential like "scorch"
- fix broken stuff (half-white screen still broken for example (inoyoulikeme (aka "added") pointed out some with his unofficial patch tests
- maybe add some stuff from his suggestions after heavy discussions about it (ppl seemed to like most of those changes)
- secure the wrapper and add stuff to make it easier for admisn to take actions against hackers (in terms of effectively banning them and doing the right decissions)
- create installers for the latest version of Savage2.
- UPDATE playsavage2.com and the joomla backend to the latest version to get the best savage2-social-network-experience as possible.
- grow the playerbase

These are the goals that i want to achive on a midterm basis.

Donations are still welcome - please go to www.PlaySavage2.com and click on the "Donate" button. TY

S2stony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S2stony For This Useful Post:
KillerKitten (04-22-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
PetzI

Updating the main page is a good idea, if someone is up to it. All the unit stats are gone, etc.

Like I said to stony earlier, there were some people during my latest mod test who were asking me about how to start modding Savage 2 and it's come to my attention that there are practically no tutorials or documentation left to guide potential modders. Modding and mapping are lots of fun (and honestly, kind of addicting), so it's a good idea to check if anyone still has anything useful on their hard-drives and, if not, create some.

But I don't agree about adding Project X and am completely against balance changes. New maps are fine as long as they're good enough and tested thoroughly, but with all due respect for rohezal and his work, the last I saw of Project X it was really unpolished and I don't see how a mod made within the limits of what the game allows could meet the quality standards to be officially implemented. More importantly, the engine wasn't made for single-player stuff, and it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the game, it feels like we're forcefully adding it for the sake of adding things. It would make more sense to add a mod like Horde vs. Legion, which is pretty polished and works like a variant of the normal game (not that I'm suggesting that we actually it, it was just an example).

As for balance changes, I don't think they're really necessary and we don't have the means to do them. You don't implement balance changes after "heavy discussions", but rather after "heavy testing". I don't believe that anyone here is better qualified for balancing than S2 themselves.

So those are my thoughts. I still haven't contacted eaxs to ask about the modding documentation, btw.
PetzI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PetzI For This Useful Post:
Old55 (04-22-2014), S2stony (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #8
Sartassa

what avoids players fro mleaving is on the first point: no crashes.
I can say fro mmyself that i crashed after every 2nd game (with starting to lead the 3rd game) when i had win7 32bit system. i changed my system now, and i just get the "normal problems".
but from time to time i hear others complain about random crashes after games. i dont talk about the general crashes that go to everyone. but those happening right after games. you always see a lot of people disconnect then. and i think several people have this crashing problems.
it bothers a lot to start the game again and log in again, also you join later to a already started game...and from time to time you say: fuuuuu..and dont log in again.

new players wont take care of a clan scene..this willjust make it attractive to old players who comeback and dream about old times. New ones need to get a foot into the door first of all XD and the frustration to leave is very high cause they got raped.

so think back. what was your point to stay in the game?

@ petzi: what about this: http://www.moddb.com/games/savage-2-...2-modding-info

Last edited by Sartassa; 04-21-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Sartassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:14 AM   #9
PetzI

Most of those links are broken, sadly :( I don't know if actual tutorials ever existed, but there was some handy script documentation in the wikis which is now gone.
PetzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:40 AM   #10
KillerKitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartassa View Post
new players wont take care of a clan scene..this willjust make it attractive to old players who comeback and dream about old times. New ones need to get a foot into the door first of all XD and the frustration to leave is very high cause they got raped.

Obviously I wasn't reffering to the newbies, I was reffering to stony's mail spamm to call the vets.
its pointless for some of them because they are good in the game and they want something competitive.
What will keep the vets around is a solid clanscene (at least the ones we spammed their mail with, lol.)

as for the newbies you'd be surprised, they will love to watch a clanwar just to see how the big boys plays, in order to learn how to play in a public match. (although a clanwar and a public match are 2 different things)
but indeed, a solid clanscene is not what going to keep them stay, casual fun will maybe draw them to stay a little longer than usual (mods) which might get them to be good and addicted to this game (like it happened to us)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartassa View Post

so think back. what was your point to stay in the game?
I liked the challange when I tried to kill players, I wanted a challange in a challanging game vs a challanging opponent
not as any of the many players nowadays I came here because I was reading "steep learning curve" over mmohut.

By time I got good at killing things, and I enjoyed killing things, I enjoy killing things now as well, but not as much because most players don't like giving a fight, they rather attack buildings and be killed by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2stony View Post
I am working behind the scenes at the following goals:

I have some goals that I want to achive:

- overhaul the website (or at least create a polished coverup-page like savagexr.com did for Savage1)
- add pending and unfinised stuff like ProjectX - some maps that showed incredible potential like "scorch"
- fix broken stuff (half-white screen still broken for example (inoyoulikeme (aka "added") pointed out some with his unofficial patch tests
- maybe add some stuff from his suggestions after heavy discussions about it (ppl seemed to like most of those changes)
- secure the wrapper and add stuff to make it easier for admisn to take actions against hackers (in terms of effectively banning them and doing the right decissions)
- create installers for the latest version of Savage2.
- UPDATE playsavage2.com and the joomla backend to the latest version to get the best savage2-social-network-experience as possible.
- grow the playerbase

These are the goals that i want to achive on a midterm basis.
Thank you stony, I am very satisfied by this.

(can I have my loyalty runes now for sticking around for so long? :> :> :> loljk)

Last edited by KillerKitten; 04-22-2014 at 12:46 AM.