Go Back   Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic Anything not relating to Savage.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #5571
Karmashock

Thanked 1,037 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Squash View Post
It isn't metric's goal to deal with everything. Just to work well with operations for domains employing base 10.
Then it can't claim universal superiority and therefore instantly fails to claim superiority over imperial.

Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men. George Bernard Shaw
Karmashock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karmashock For This Useful Post:
SonOfAthena (02-12-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #5572
Karmashock

http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/rom...ttlescape.html

Stuff of legend.

Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men. George Bernard Shaw
SonOfAthena (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #5573
Bodom_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmashock View Post
... And you presume to call me dense?

GG.

The molar weight of every element is different from every other element and none of the molar weights are divisible by ten ANYTHING.
Where in the actual fuck did I say it was divisible by ten? Seriously, please go find where I said that.

Molecular weight isn't ounces/mol. They use metric units.
I can live with delays, I can live with some disgruntled "fans" but I can't live with a shitty product that doesn't deserve to be called a game, let alone something I'm going to stake my company or reputation on.

Savage 2 is VERY fun and even as it sits now, fairly polished. By release, she'll be clean as a whistle and success shall be ours!
Quote:
you're right
Bodom_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bodom_Child For This Useful Post:
SonOfAthena (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #5574
Karmashock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodom_Child View Post
Where in the actual fuck did I say it was divisible by ten? Seriously, please go find where I said that.

Molecular weight isn't ounces/mol. They use metric units.
Yeah but it doesn't need to be nor does metric lend itself to expressing molar weight more Accurately given that the molar weight does not divide evenly by gram.

SonOfAthena (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #5575
SonOfAthena

SonOfAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #5576
Karmashock

The imperial equivalent to a gram is a carat which is still used in gem evaluation. It apparently derives from a time when the common system of measurement was using a type of seed. The value was that anyone could get a handful of these seeds to test against someone else's "weights"...

Despite its' classical origins, it's progressed a great deal from that point and is today a great deal more precise. There is actually a Metric Carat which is set to be equal to .2 grams. Note... not divisible by ten.

And you run into this sort of thing all the time whenever people are doing ACTUAL work. Tell the gem merchants at De Beers (headquartered in Luxemburg which is a metric country) that they should switch away from carats to grams. They'll look into your eyes and tell you to go f' yourself sideways with a pineapple.

When you deal with various fields of engineering you run into the same thing. The global oil industry for example likes units of measure such as the "barrel"... how many liters is that? 158.987295 liters... Or 42 gallons.

So yeah. Welcome to the real world, chumps.

Last edited by Karmashock; 02-12-2013 at 11:28 AM.
SonOfAthena (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #5577
KraGeRzR

Quote:
There is actually a Metric Carat which is set to be equal to .2 grams. Note... not divisible by ten.
When converting between grams and milligrams, you still ONLY HAVE TO MOVE THE DECIMAL POINT.

Notice that once a carat is expressed in grams, it suddenly, magically! becomes easy to work with.

Now a 42 gallon barrel. Good luck with all the extra operations required to express that amount in other imperial measurements.

Last edited by KraGeRzR; 02-12-2013 at 12:14 PM.
KraGeRzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #5578
Karmashock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraGeRzR View Post
Notice that once a carat is expressed in grams, it suddenly, magically! becomes easy to work with.
And yet jewelers don't use grams despite the industry being based in metric countries.

Fucking Luxemburg. Is that a metric country? Yes. Why are they measuring jems in imperial?

Wake up.

Quote:
Now a 42 gallon barrel. Good luck with all the extra operations required to express that amount in other imperial measurements.
The calculation required is trival and for anyone in the industry your stance that this is some how hard is laughable.

Again, for people that don't really know anything and don't spend any time with the units this is confusing. But for those fluent in them it's very simple.

A baker or a cook doesn't have a problem with imperial recipes that measure in cups, teaspoons, and f'ing "pinches". Why do you think the international petroleum industry would have a problem with barrels or gallons? There are probably even larger units of volume they use to describe container ship loads of oil... and that's also probably not divisible by ten.

And beyond that, I've already pointed out to you bozos that Lockheed martin designs some of the most sophisticated aerospace technology in the world entirely in imperial.

Herp and derp, bitches. Wake up. Imperial works and is not inferior beyond requiring a little more time to learn. But you could say the same thing of Chinese versus latin as Chinese is a more complex and frequently subtle language where as latin is more literal and ultimately simplistic.

Is chinese inferior? No. Different. And perfectly fine for people that understand it.

Imperial is more baroque then metric but has the same capability.

You all need to learn the difference between a personal preference and an emperical superiority. Being easier to learn doesn't make one thing better then another especially amongst professionals that we can take for granted already understand it.

And again... because it has to be said... show a cook in England or France a recipe that uses cups and teaspoons and they'll pull measuring cups out of their drawer with those demarcations on them... and follow the recipe with no problem. Show a plan in imperial to an engineer from Germany and he'll be able to figure it out no problem.

To professionals the conversions are trival and something they work with all the time. Recently there has been a big fad of building golf courses in China. Guess what that included? Imperial standard plumbing. That's right, they wanted American golf courses so they hired American golf course designers that all submitted specs in imperial which then had to be supplied by American steel companies that produce pipes in imperial... etc.

Imperial. Deal with it.

SonOfAthena (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #5579
KraGeRzR

So like I've said about 3 times already.... The only reason Imperial might be better is for the people who are already using it.

Doesn't make imperial better. Makes it used.

Metric is better. Depending on your perspective, it ranges from very slightly better to a lot better. That's reason enough to switch, but we wouldn't want to throw off the poor imperial plebes would we now.

This is the breakdown, basically:

Last edited by KraGeRzR; 02-12-2013 at 08:45 PM.
KraGeRzR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KraGeRzR For This Useful Post:
Bodom_Child (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #5580
Karmashock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraGeRzR View Post
So like I've said about 3 times already.... The only reason Imperial might be better is for the people who are already using it.
I'm not claiming imperial is better.

I am not because I know the difference between subjective and objective.

The difference between the two systems is subjective. They're objectively equal.

You can claim otherwise but you're really just telling me you're ignorant.

*shrugs*

SonOfAthena (02-13-2013)