Go Back   Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum > Savage 2 Modding > Documentation

Notices

Documentation Post useful tutorials and other informative material.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
S2Mercenary
S2 Staff Member

Default Mapping Resources

If you have anything that you'd like to contribute, reply here and I'll check it out/have it added.

I'm currently working on setting up a list of mapping guidelines and useful information which will be a companion for the mapping article on the wiki (which is more of a manual). I'm intending to have that be the place to go for direction when people need to know a) whether or not to call their map complete [so in some ways you could call it a checklist], and b) what to do when they need to add that final touch and aren't sure what they're missing. I also want to include examples of terrain, texturing, etc. styles for inspiration.
Customer and Technical support for Savage 2 is suspended until further notice. If you have a -billing- or -account- issue that directly affects your ability to play the game, please contact S2Games support: (support@s2games.com).

Good things come to those who wait...

Last edited by S2Mercenary; 05-03-2009 at 06:20 PM.
S2Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
SKOPE

Perhaps a link to the map Wiki, that has all the info on past maps would be good?

Merc, you should talk to the folks in charge of the game files to set up a proper "/community" prop folder, so that any map that is officially excepted will make any new props it contains available for future mapping (eg: grimms wall). The aim would be to avoid increasing map sizes needlessly (multiple maps using grimms wall, but all using the model from their own map s2z file).
If the props that were excepted were all added to the "/community" folder things would run much more smoothly .

Also, any progress on the waterfall dilema? (the one that only shows on some angles, or not at all).
Old 10-04-2008, 01:38 AM   #3
S2Mercenary
S2 Staff Member

Map Wiki? Do you mean the list of maps at the strategy wiki?

Any community maps that are made official will have their assets included, so long as they were made by the person who made the map (or another consenting community member). I think there may be some extra rules on this, but it'll generally be that so long as it's legal and the assets were developed by the community, it's probably OK.

No progress on the waterfalls yet, I'll check further into that. (edit: it could be something to the effect of the occluder system getting a bit confused as to whether or not the waterfall should be visible, and an explanation for why it doesn't seem to affect everyone the same way might be that people have different model detail settings and are viewing from specific distances where the LOD system has the model appear in a certain way. This is all speculation though, I'd need more info to give you anything definitive. One thing to try would be to split the mesh into multiple objects in 3dsm before you export and see if there's a difference).

As for assets that aren't specific to a map, if it isn't used in an official map/not part of the current set of assets, it probably won't get included unless someone creates a map and it gets added to the set of official maps. Is the grimm's wall included in morning's s2z and not in the main resouce s2z's?
Customer and Technical support for Savage 2 is suspended until further notice. If you have a -billing- or -account- issue that directly affects your ability to play the game, please contact S2Games support: (support@s2games.com).

Last edited by S2Mercenary; 10-04-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
SKOPE

I meant the list of maps .

Good to hear about including community made assets.

Waterfall thing is exactly the same effect that happened when bats were first introduced, where they went invisible for players viewing from certain angles. It was fixed though, need to find out how . Quite possibly to do with shader settings for the waterfall.

Well, the reason I'm saying this is because the grimmswall is potentially a common prop. The mesh and textures themselves are in the maps s2z, but the animations are in the community folder of the savage2 resources s2z (as these were added by your animator, not me). I just thought it would better to keep all the files in one location, rather than spreading them around everywhere.
I'm not sure how transferring the map s2z content to the resources content will go with regards to maps locating them, but i'm pretty sure it should find them still.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:01 AM   #5
S2Mercenary
S2 Staff Member

I'll add the maps list in a bit. Hopefully we can get people to create and maintain articles for their maps on the wiki.

The problem with the bats was that the collision surfaces were below the visible part of the model (in the ground, actually). I'm not sure how that could apply to the waterfalls unless you've got some rock or bit you're intended for people to collide with below the ground.

For resources in maps, you should try to follow the existing directory structure in the resource archives. If we need to make a change when we make a map official, we'll make the change at that time. Fielding might have more information on that sort of stuff.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
S2Mercenary
S2 Staff Member

Just finished annotating a new video to go along with the first example on the upcoming mapping guidelines article on the wiki. It's pretty simple, but I want to cover some of the basics first and move on from there. I've left out any sound or music. I don't want to overuse the music and if I have music for the entire duration of every video, I'll probably wear them out real quick. I'm thinking of doing some sort of narration for future videos.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
Envor

I know the wiki needs work but a WIP (work in progress) map section would be great, I'll also have a place to dump my maps .

Also i hope that map guides will have soem advanced stuff like, do not use to many entities, dark maps are bad for some monitors, gar can be built in areas to block movement and my favorite- you need visible bloackers to be officail. I fonly i knew it before and not finding it in process of making a map
Envor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
S2Mercenary
S2 Staff Member

It'd be pretty easy to set up a work in progress maps category.

The mapping guidelines article which I'm working on will have that advanced stuff.

I've just filled out the foliage tool section of the mapping guide (which I'll probably rename to map editor manual soon). Last bit to do before it's 1.0 complete will be to fill out the environment controls section.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
Ride

Some sort of official guideline to follow if you want your map to get official would be great indeed.

Good job on all the stuff you did merc, I'm really starting to like this whole mapping stuff. Compared to hl-mapping this is easy and fun! =)

I just hope they release those new MBPs asap so I can finally play S2 on all settings set NOT to low =)
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
S2Mercenary
S2 Staff Member

Gonna go and sticky this. If anyone wants to post useful info or make requests, feel free to do so.